According to the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), “topping is the indiscriminate cutting back of tree branches to stubs or lateral branches that are not large enough to assume the terminal role.” Other names for topping include ‘heading,’ ‘tipping,’ ‘hat-racking,’ and ’rounding over’.” Topping violates nationally accepted standards for proper pruning and seriously injures trees.”
- Topping will not make trees safe—it actually creates hazardous tree situations
- Topping destroys a tree’s ability to produce food
- Topping invites disease, insects, defects and rot
- Topping is expensive and a waste of money
- Topping creates increased maintenance needs
If you would like help pruning trees, give me a call. I can prune them for you or teach you how to prune them yourself. There is no charge for an estimate.